So I just spent the weekend with some fantastic Millennials, and the overarching theme for the weekend was, “I just want a freaking job!”
With new grads facing the future, there is battle cry for jobs. And not just any job, but a good job.
But good is a relative term.
The first step is figuring out what “a good job” is to you… right now. What is good for you later will be different so try to focus on the present.
What is “a good job”to you?
You have to ask yourself what is my priority? Is it paying the bills? Getting experience? Or both?
Once you know what you are priority is, match it to your experience, qualifications and interests.
How do you do that?
Step One: What can you do?
1. Identify your skills by making a list of all the jobs you have ever had, list your duties and responsibilities. Include any volunteer work or internships.
Step Two: What do you like to do?
2. Use your list to make two new lists: a list of the duties and responsibilities you enjoyed and why, and then another list of the duties you did not enjoy and why.
Step Three: Know your strengths
3. Make a “Top Ten” list of the duties and responsibilities you enjoyed the most then rate how developed those skills are with a 3=well developed, 2= developed, 1=needs developing.
Step Four: Sell your strengths
4. Use your strengths to create a competitive cover letter and resume that highlights your interests and strengths.
Download 5 Quick Tips to Find a Job now!
Starting your professional career of your life “not as a student” can be a pretty daunting experience.
All the enthusiasm and drive you have to get out there and get started on life must be tempered by the reality of a competitive job market and your own experience. Do what it takes to get noticed by potential employers.
No one starts at the top. Trust me, everyone who experiences long term success had to work very hard to get it and even harder to sustain it.
So as you take the leap, remember:
- Be patient, vigilant, and flexible
- Keep your chin up
- Remain confident, here are 6 ways to increase your confidence
Get some great tips and gain the confidence you need to get the interview and nail it.
Sunday, June 9th, 2013 @12 am PDT; 1 pm MDT; 3 pm EDT; 8 pm GMT
Don’t wait, land your Dream Job or at least get the job you need until your Dream Job becomes an option.